It is a pleasure to honor Sue Ciccia as the CASN School Nurse of the Year 2016-2017.
Sue Ciccia, RN, MSN, NCSN is a highly competent and conscientious school nurse administrator.
She is currently the Director of Nursing Services for the Montezuma-Cortez School district and coordinator of their school based community health clinic. This rural district is very diverse with large percentage of Native American and Hispanic students. The majority of students fall below the poverty level. Throughout her tenure, Sue has contributed evidence-based approaches to help students succeed in her district. Her professionalism and dedication go above and beyond normal expectations.
Sue was instrumental in the completion of a Public Health Center located in the community high school. She co-authored the grant and assisted in the creation of a Memorandum of Understanding to allow diverse entities to deliver services in the Center. She also updated district policy to align with healthy food guidelines and wellness goals. According to her principal, “her initiative literally changed the direction of the entire district in how we looked at and consumed food.”
Recently, Sue began a community initiative to address tobacco cessation efforts among high school students. She is working on district policy to provide resources for this work. She has spearheaded several other major efforts including the formation of a work group to revamp district suicide prevention policy. Her professional colleagues consider her the consummate professional and go to her for consultation in difficult situations. They state she is supportive, compassionate and knowledgeable about social, psychological, and nursing issues. Not only is Sue considered valuable to the school district, she is also a vital member of the entire community.
To publicly recognize the importance and visibility of school nurse administrators by annually honoring one School Nurse Administrator of the Year in Colorado who has demonstrated excellence in leadership and support of school nurses.
Colorado Association of School Nurses
• Nominee must be:
• A registered professional nurse.
• Bachelor degree or higher
• A member of NASN for the current and preceding five years. The preceding five years must be continuous (without lapse in membership).
Suggested Guidelines for Affiliate School Nurse Administrator of the Year
1. Nominee should have completed five years’ experience in school health, and currently practice full-time and have as their main responsibility the supervision, administration, and coordination of nursing service and health programs
2. Evidence of excellence in school nursing administration is judged by the nominee’s abilities in the areas of Leadership, Vision, Community Partnership, Innovation and Support of Nursing in an educational system. Guidelines are also available at: ANA Scope and Standards for Nurse Administrators.
How to Submit an Application
All applications must be submitted online. No other mode of application will be accepted. Nominations may be submitted by another nurse, a principal, a director or a parent.
Application Deadline: May 26,2016.
Questions?? Contact Karen O’Keeffe,CASN Past President: Karen_O’Keeffe@dpsk12.org
Copyright © 2016 - Colorado Association of School Nurses